Hollywood Elsewhere’s view is that (a) the Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic guys are being overly harsh about the shortcomings of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and (b) that despite the overly accelerated first half J.J. Abrams‘ film is at the very least “okay,” as a critic friend remarked two days ago.
As the first commercial screenings are beginning on the east coast as we speak (3 pm Pacific), HE is soliciting any and all reactions.
HE’s latest ranking of all Star Wars features, as of 12.19.19:
1. The Empire Strikes Back (far and away the best, a world-class film noir, a keeper now and forever)
2. A New Hope (very good opener, excellent Alec Guinness, not as gripping as Empire)
3. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
4. The Last Jedi (excellent cinematography, didn’t care for the Luke fake-out finale or the casino sequence)
5. The Rise of Skywalker (if you can get past that first hour)
6. Return of the Jedi (HE will always hate the Ewoks and especially that Endor-celebration-around-a-bonfire ending)
7. The Force Awakens
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Phantom Menace
11. Solo: A Star Wars Story