Awards Daily‘s half-year poll, announced earlier today, has Paul Schrader’s First Reformed at the top of the list, followed closely by Ari Aster’s Hereditary.
114 film critics, journalists, bloggers and entertainment reporters participated in the poll, which was compiled by Jordan Ruimy. Responders included Stephen Witty, Katie Walsh, Peter Travers, Claudia Puig, Ray Pride, Steve Pond, Amy Nicholson, Joana Langfield, Tomris Laffly, Pete Howell, David Edelstein, David Ansen, Matt Zoller Seitz and yours truly. More than 70 movies (mostly English-language) were mentioned. Six of the top 30 were foreign-language films.
1. First Reformed (Paul Schrader, U.S.) (71 lists)
2. Hereditary (Ari Aster, U.S.) (65)
3. You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay, U.S.) (64)
4. Annihilation (Alex Garland, U.S.) (61)
5. Black Panther (Ryan Coogler, U.S.)( 61)
6. The Rider (Chloe Zhao, U.S.) (54)
7. A Quiet Place (John Krasinski, U.S.)(49)
8. Paddington (Paul King, U.K.) (49)
9. Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, U.S.) (40)
10. Won’t You Be My Neighbor (Morgan Neville, U.S.) (34)
HE’s Ten Best So Far (revised today): Paul Schrader‘s First Reformed, Ari Aster‘s Hereditary, John Krasinski‘s A Quiet Place, Stefano Sollima‘s Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Eugene Jarecki‘s The King, Lynne Ramsay‘s You Were Never Really Here, Tony Zierra‘s Filmworker, Andrej Zvyagintsev‘s Loveless, Tony Gilroy‘s Beirut, Wes Anderson‘s Isle of Dogs.